We are Ohev Sholom, lovers of peace, anchored in history and Jewish tradition, committed to Israel and kehilah, continuing the Covenant by making Torah relevant from generation to generation – past, present and future.
Housed in northern Johnson County, Ohev Sholom is committed to stand as the hub of Conservative Judaism near the city core. We serve Kansas and Missouri families residing near Prairie Village, Overland Park, Leawood, Brookside, and the Plaza, Hyde Park, and UMKC areas.
Hours of Operation
- Oldest operating synagogue in the state of Kansas
- Congregation’s most famous family, the family of actor Ed Asner
- Facility houses Ohev Sholom, a Conservative Jewish congregation and Temple Israel, a Reform Jewish congregation
- Ohev Sisterhood Hamentaschen fundraiser included making …… in 2012.
- More than 800 homemade fallafel were served at Purim celebration2012 attendedby members from three KC congregations: Ohev, Congregation Beth Shalom and Temple Kol Ami
Committed to intellectual and spiritual discovery, our programs inspire worship and study.
The soul of our congregation embodies our name Ohev Sholom, Lovers of Peace. In worship, study and social action, we observe the cycles of the Jewish calendar and life events.
As Abraham and Sarah welcomed all to their tent, our doors are open and we welcome you to join us under the Ohev tent.
We are Congregation Ohev Sholom. Founded in Kansas City, Kansas and now the state’s oldest operating Jewish congregation, Ohev affiliates with the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism. Our members reflect a sense of belonging and commitment to each other, our local communities, the Conservative movement, Israel and the larger Jewish world.
The little shul that could, we are anchored in Jewish text and history, looking for the Eternal through the lens of an ever changing world of Conservative Judaism. Led by an active partnership between professional and lay leadership, Ohev brings to life
- Daily egalitarian minyans;
- Weekly social Kiddushes;
- Shabbat and Yom Tov services; and
- Stimulating adult education
Our members and Rabbi Scott White welcome you to join us under the Ohev tent at 5311 West 75th Street in Prairie Village, Kansas 66208, or call 913-642-6460.
Committed to Israel and Kehilah
Ohev Sholom dedicates action, study and prayer to strengthening connections among Jews worldwide.
Tefillah: Prayer for the state of Israel.
Sponsoring travel to Israel.
Scholarship opportunities for student study or service in Israel.
Educational programs on Israel past and present.
We connect with kehilah, or community, through:
- The programs and events at Ohev such asYom Kippur pre-N’ilah program dedicated to congregant experiences in Israel during the prior year.
- Adult Education and Lifelong Learning.
- Support of city-wide programs sponsored by Jewish and interfaith organizations throughout the metropolitan area such as participation in AIPAC, Masorti, annual Yom Haatzmaut celebrations.
Ohev continues the Covenant that God established with our ancestors at Mt. Sinai by making Torah vibrant and relevant in our lives.
- Egalitarian worship
- Kabbalat Shabbat with musical accompaniment prior to candle lighting
- Shabbat and Yom Tov services conducted by professional and lay leadership
- From support of Israel to repairing the world, Ohev brings to life tefillah, tzedakah and teshuva