Founded in Kansas City, Kansas and now the state’s oldest operating Jewish congregation, Ohev affiliates with the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism. Our members reflect a sense of belonging and commitment to each other, our local communities, the Conservative movement, Israel and the larger Jewish world.
We are anchored in Jewish text and history, looking for the Eternal through the lens of an ever changing world of Conservative Judaism. Led by an active partnership between professional and lay leadership, Ohev brings to life:
- Daily egalitarian minyans
- Weekly social Kiddushes
- Shabbat and Yom Tov services
- Stimulating adult education
We are Ohev Sholom, lovers of peace, anchored in history and Jewish tradition, committed to Israel and kehilah, continuing the Covenant by making Torah relevant from generation to generation – past, present and future.
Committed to intellectual and spiritual discovery, our programs inspire worship and study.
The soul of our congregation embodies our name Ohev Sholom, Lovers of Peace. In worship, study and social action, we observe the cycles of the Jewish calendar and life events.
As Abraham and Sarah welcomed all to their tent, our doors are open and we welcome you to join us under the Ohev tent.
Committed to Israel and Kehilah
Ohev Sholom dedicates action, study and prayer to strengthening connections among Jews worldwide. Read more about Masorti.
Tefillah: Prayer for the state of Israel.
- Sponsoring travel to Israel.
- Scholarship opportunities for student study or service in Israel.
- Educational programs on Israel past and present.
We connect with kehilah, or community, through:
- The programs and events at Ohev such as Yom Kippur pre-N’ilah program dedicated to congregant experiences in Israel during the prior year.
- Adult Education and Lifelong Learning.
- Support of city-wide programs sponsored by Jewish and interfaith organizations throughout the metropolitan area such as participation in AIPAC, Masorti, annual Yom Haatzmaut celebrations.
Ohev continues the Covenant that God established with our ancestors at Mt. Sinai by making Torah vibrant and relevant in our lives.
- Egalitarian worship
- Kabbalat Shabbat with musical accompaniment prior to candle lighting
- Shabbat and Yom Tov services conducted by professional and lay leadership
- From support of Israel to repairing the world, Ohev brings to life tefillah, tzedakah and teshuva